Thursday, September 18, 2014

the best love story ever lived

If we could earn blessings with good behavior and lose them with bad behavior, we would never tip the scale to our advantage. Helpless and wandering through relationships, life goals, and the necessities of life, we really don't deserve to have it so easy.
That being said, and supported by the behavior of man throughout history, our lives are so blessed by the love of God. Even the beauty of creation is a statement of love. The sunset that strikes you at your very core making you breathless or the fog in the morning that makes the world more quiet and calm. It's a wonder how these things of beauty still capture our attention in the midst of our selfish pursuits.

Our bodies are failing us with each day that passes. Our homes will never satisfy our longing to feel ultimate comfort, not just a place but the place where we belong. Our life will never be easy or handed to us, it is always something we have to sacrifice for and work toward. No matter the circumstance, rich or poor, healthy or ill, we all have a battle in life unique to our situation that requires hard work and sacrifice every day until the day we die.
Of course the Bible explains this in Genesis. The curse of man. Adam and Eve. If you haven't read it, you should. It makes so much sense of the things in life that we question. Why do we have to work? Why do we have pain? Why is this so hard? Is it ever going to get easier?

We are cursed. And what's worse is that we're disobedient. Disobedient to God, to parents, to ourselves. Just like man in Eden, we want the one thing we shouldn't want and shouldn't have. We want to see what will happen just once. Just one bite, one bullet, one kiss, one night, one bank, one jackpot, one drink. We justify it by saying that it will only be this once; but even we know in our hearts that this addiction to want what we shouldn't have will never end. We know it harms us, we've read the labels. Bottoms up. And we're kicked out of Eden.

Disobedience deserves consequence.
If a man murdered your family member, what would be the reason you think this person should go to jail or be killed in return? Whatever the consequence, you believe in your heart that there should be justice. Something should be done about this act. But why? Because the law states that murder is wrong? What if it didn't? If we put our hope in the law, we set ourselves up for disappointment. Law changes over time and between cultures. Law is conditional. Law has failed many people in the pursuit of justice. 
No, murder is wrong morally and strikes a chord of dissonance in our souls. Lying, cheating, stealing, even meanness feels wrong; because this disobeying of God's word affects our souls, who we are on the inside.
And then we try to define and justify our actions so that we can convince ourselves we are not wrong and have everything under control. Again, it will only be this once. One lie, one situation, one time. I can do what I want because I am in control...
Fun fact, if we are in control, we will lose control. It's our nature. God gave man a choice, and he disobeyed. For that, we are seeking that same comfort Eden offered in every step of our lives. And we're looking in all the wrong places.

I almost died. I didn't realize that by my selfish and immature decisions, I was putting myself in danger. I never thought things could get that messed up. I hurt a lot of people. And eventually my choices almost killed me. I should be dead. I deserved to die because it was my choice. No one else's. No one else should have died.
Someone I didn't even know saved my life. This man cared about my safety even though it put him in danger. He loved me and I didn't even know him. And what's worse is that my choices killed him. He died because I was selfish. How do I live with that?
His last act as a man was out of love for someone who didn't deserve it.



Jesus. It's a good read, the Bible. The best love story ever lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment