Thursday, September 11, 2014

13 years ago

I remember it well. I was getting books from my locker and saying Happy Birthday to a dear friend. I was in tenth grade and it was a tuesday. I remember my parents were out of town for work and I was alone with my grandpa for the weekend. As I went to class we were watching on television as the towers hadn't collapsed yet.
Having family in New York City who worked downtown, I was terrified.
And then it happened. That moment everyone in our country can't forget as they watched.

They fell.

------

What a tender memory; so many lives lost. A nation completely jolted by horror. After each attack, our country lost loved ones, acquaintances, community members, and citizens. We weren't sure what was happening across the country. One by one, we heard announcements of death and destruction. It was a mixture of emotions. Grief, fear, confusion.

And I hadn't suffered like some.

------

This was one of the times I remember talking about the future as a youth. Talking about what kind of life I wanted, what kind of country in which I wanted to live.

The VOTD:
Psalm 121:1-2
I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from where shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.

How appropriate. It's amazing to me how people cry out to God in times of trouble but when things go their way, they really could care less.

There's a song that I always sing when I read that scripture, "I will lift my eyes to the maker of the mountains I can't climb, I will lift my eyes to the calmer of the oceans raging wild, I will lift my eyes to the Healer of the hurt I hold inside, I will lift my eyes, lift my eyes to You."

My prayer today is for the hurting. That we all can look to the Lord together, lifting our eyes to Him, in good times and in bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment