Tuesday, March 20, 2018

when you’re distracted from the hunger


Last year, I started devoting more attention to creating healthy boundaries in my life. Being responsible for my behavior. Learning to choose joy and separate my feelings from others who don’t. Worrying less, being angry less, and people-pleasing less. But most importantly, learning what it is that God actually wants for me and what I want for me. 
I have been learning a great deal about myself through the many trials God has used to refine me. Some more painful than others. When my child is suffering and not getting better. When I get blamed for something that is and is not my fault. (It’s always easier when it’s just simply not my problem) When I am in the “unknown” and really the “unsure” and don’t know how to get out. 

I’ve been so thankful for the many ways God loves me and shows me His love. One of the biggest life lessons I’ve been gifted recently is that we all have a hunger for God. 
Sometimes we replace it with business or marriage. Sometimes we fill it with plans and dreams for our family. Sometimes we get busy and schedule through it without realizing that what we really need is more time not just with Him, but more time recognizing Him. 
If God is always with us, then we can’t really spend time away from Him. We cannot hide from Him nor be without Him in any way. 
However, we can spend time feeding our hunger for Him with other things.

It’s kind of how our bodies may be hungry for protein and we eat empty carbs. This is a lesson many of us learn the hard way many times over. (Mmm hostess)
But after that *raspberry zinger* (or two) you realize, what you really needed were some healthy fats and proteins. And after about thirty minutes or so, you’re hungry again and you’re looking for something else to satisfy. 

Through the counsel I’ve received and life changes I’ve recently made, I have found myself to struggle less with my children. HALLELUJAH! I have been yelling less and slower to anger, Praise the Lord! However, I have also found I have been forced to my knees less. I have cried less. I have cried out less. It has made me question where I am, in what season. It’s so wonderful to personally struggle less in a time of trial, to be more trusting and less anxious. 
However, it makes it so that I have to be very intentional in my walk with the Lord. To feed my spiritual hunger appropriately rather than foolishly keep myself so busy that I am distracted from the hunger. 
The suffering, sorrow, and anguish is gone, so bring on the craft time? Bring on my health? Bring on my financial success? Bring on the ministry? Bring on family time? 
All of these things can be wonderful and bear beautiful fruit in life, especially when given at the throne. However, nothing…nothing compares to Him.

Remind yourself who you are in Christ. Remind yourself that you should be hungry for Him; in trials and in peace, in suffering and in celebration. Hungry because He made you and loves you. Spending time recognizing Him. Talking to Him, learning about Him, sharing Him, and worshipping Him. 
God, Your Creator. Your Father. Your Savior. Your Friend. Your Master.

Psalm 63:1
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water.


1 comment: